In the summer of 1885, Patrick Collins opened "...a fine marine boarding villa, convenient to the Iron Door and the big hotels, and a first class establishment" on Decatur Street. By 1900, Collins Cafe was advertising its fine old whiskies, fresh seafoods, Milwaukee beers and "neatly appointed rooms for ladies."
_____Andrew Zillinger, chief steward of the Merion
Cricket Club on Philadelphia's Main Line, purchased the
inn in 1906 and changed its name to The Merion.
Several members of the club provided financial backing
for the purchase to assure themselves a quiet oasis in
Cape May with the same high standards they had come to
expect. Rooms on the second floor were converted to
private dining rooms and an outdoor beer garden was added
(with a separate entrance for ladies).
Order Gift Certificates
For reservations... call 609-884-8363,
or make on-line reservations by clicking the ReServe icon
on the home page